As we hurtle towards a New Year, we're eager to welcome new and returning customers. It's time to prepare for fantastic sales, exciting new packaging products and, as always, valuable industry insights.
Let's begin by exploring the key facts sure to shape your business plans for 2024.
1. The preferred type of sustainable packaging for European customers is “compostable.”
Customers are ready for a greener tomorrow. Are you? People favour compostable packaging over recycled plastic, glass bottles, and paper-based cartons. Surveys show that consumers feel positive or uplifted when they make eco-conscious decisions.
2. Sustainable packaging terms including biodegradable, compostable, and recyclable leave customers confused.
This confusion has led to calls for a complete crackdown on marketing for packaging. Packaging marketed as biodegradable that will take years to break down frustrates customers. This is why it is important to focus on trust, sustainable packaging choices.
3. 87% of customers are willing to return packaging to your business if it is reusable.
You can use metal tins and aluminium cosmetic packaging without ever losing value or quality. Leading brands are already implementing return schemes in the cosmetic industry.
4. 86% of customers are willing to spend more on a product if the packaging is sustainable.
According to recent surveys, consumers will pay more for a sustainable luxury product. Particularly, if it fits into the new circular economy model.
5. 42% of customers claim that greener packaging should be a priority but only if costs remain at a reasonable level.
Customers are eager to lend their support towards environmental objectives. But this commitment doesn't outweigh their own financial concerns. In a time of high inflation and heavy costs, customers are wary of anything that will increase the price tag. This is why it is important to choose a packaging supplier that provides cost-effective, quality solutions.
6. 30% of businesses report an increase in purchases after a packaging revamp.
The colour, design, shape, material and style of packaging can have a massive impact on purchases. Black isn’t the only shade that will shape customer perception when exploring different products online and in-store.
7. Interactive packaging is a top priority for marketing teams this year.
Create packaging that is more than a protective case for your products and instead provides a unique experience. Sensory packaging is one example of a choice that offers customers more than they would expect.
8. 52% of customers have switched to a different product because of the packaging.
The value of your packaging is more than you might realise. You can win more buyers over with the right choice. This doesn’t mean that your marketing needs to be complex. A simple design can make a significant impact.
9. A high level of customer satisfaction won’t always result in a high level of customer retention.
Do you assume a great service or fantastic product will always keep customers on board? Research suggests that this isn’t quite the case. In reality, it takes a lot more than a standard quality of service to keep your customers coming back for more. This is where an innovative or interesting packaging choice will help you earn loyalty.
10. The most popular unboxing video on YouTube of 2023 has more than 89 million views.
The increased popularity of unboxing videos shows the value of packaging for your consumers. Great packaging will fill customers with a sense of wonder, excitement, and intrigue when opening your product.
We hope this has helped you understand some of the key customer choices and marketing trends. Remember, standard packaging choices aren’t always enough to create the right market impact. Sometimes, it’s worth thinking outside the box.